A new take on a classic recipe, this wild rice mushroom soup is deliciously vegan. This soup is warm and inviting, perfect for the fall and winter holidays.
At first glance, the amounts of ingredients in this recipe might seem huge, but the vegetables cook down. A typical dutch oven pot is the perfect size for this batch of soup. You will definitely want to prep all of your ingredients in advance of starting the soup. If you’re a slow chopper like me, the veggie peeling and cutting takes a little bit of time. But once you’ve prepped, you just assemble the soup and bring it to a simmer. Then wait for the timer to ding!
I ran about a half cup short of veggie broth, so I made up the difference with almond milk. That worked just fine.
This soup keeps well in the fridge and reheats well on the stove top or in the microwave. This is a one pot dish, which is always a bonus.
This recipe was adapted from Veggie Balance. You might also be interested in these soup recipes.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||35 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter I used Earth Balance
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 quarts vegetable broth,
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups carrots chopped, about 5 large
- 2 cups celery chopped, about 7 to 9 stalks, I remove the threads first
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped, I used baby portobellos - white or cremini mushrooms will work
- 2 leaves bay leaf remove before serving
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup wild rice uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook another 2 minutes, constantly stirring to mix the flour in with the butter and coating the onions with a paste.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the veggie broth, using the whisk to break up and dissolve any clumps of flour mixture. Add all of the remaining broth to the pot. Continue heating and stirring until all of the flour mixture has dissolved into the broth.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Turn up heat to medium high until the soup boils. Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer 30 to 35 minutes, or until the rice is tender and fully cooked.
- Serve hot. Salt and pepper to taste.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.