Well, it’s October, so my vegan naan pizza has a Halloween theme!
While I made my naan pizzas with spiders as toppings, you can use whatever you want on yours. But if it’s spiders you are looking for, just use large or jumbo black olives. Cut an olive lengthwise to get two bodies, and cut the narrower end of an olive crosswise to make a spider head. For the legs, slice an olive the thickness you wish the legs to be, then cut each slice in half. According to Recipe Runner, where I found the olive cutting instructions and pizza sauce recipe, the olive spiders won’t stand up to baking. So, put the spiders on after the pizzas are baked. These would be so fun to make with kids or to serve at a Halloween party!
You can use this link to make Homemade Vegan Naan for the pizza crusts. This pizza recipe includes the ingredients for making the pizza sauce, but you can just use a jarred sauce, too (especially when cooking with the kiddos!). When working with kids, I would save the cutting of the olives into spider parts for when the pizzas are cooling, to keep them entertained while the pizzas cool.
If you find the edges of your pre-cooked naan are browning too much, wrap the edges in foil strips to start the baking. Either leave the foil strips on the entire time or remove them halfway through if you want the naan to brown more on the edges. I didn’t use any foil and it was fine because of the time my cheese took to melt. But, a few more minutes and the crust edge would have been burnt.
I plan on keeping vegan naan in my freezer full time, which bodes well for my pizza eating future!
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||8 minutes|
- 15 ounce tomato sauce canned
- 6 ounce tomato paste canned
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 can black olives large or jumbo size, if making spider pizza
- naan 1 per pizza, prebaked, or your favorite pizza crust
- vegan shredded cheese I used Daiya Classic Blend shreds
- any other pizza toppings
For the pizza sauce:
For the pizza assembly:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Arrange the naan on a pizza pan or two pans and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Spoon sauce on the top of each pizza.
- Top each pizza with shredded vegan cheese. If not making Halloween spider pizza, then top your pizzas with your other favorite toppings. Bake 8-10 minutes.
- If your cheese hasn't melted, you can turn on the broiler to help it along. Do not leave the pizzas unattended. Rotate your pizza pans to accommodate any hot spots in your oven. Once cheese is melted and bubbly, remove the pizzas from the oven.
- Put baked pizzas on a cooling rack. For Halloween pizzas, cut your olives to make the spider parts.
- These can be served warm, but are also good at room temp if serving for a party.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.