Hi! I’m so happy to be a guest blogger on my mom’s blog, Key Lime Coconut! Today I’m sharing the Vegan Sweet Potato & Black Bean Farro Bake we featured in one of our Lucky Pantry meal box deliveries! Our customers loved it! Just cut up all the vegetables, assemble, and bake.
I’m Allison Smith, mother of three, and daughter of Lisa here at Key Lime Coconut. I’m also the co-owner of Rooster & Hen Store, in Catonsville, Maryland; Lucky Pantry meal box delivery service; and Baltimore based frozen pops catering company Picnic Pops. I spend my days connecting hungry Baltimore locals with wholesome food.
This delicious dish is loaded with Mexican seasonings, which makes it a perfect entree, tortilla filling, or side dish with your other Mexican favorites. The farro is chewy and meaty, making it filling. There is nothing but nutrition in this easy-to-make oven dish! To make the recipe gluten free, replace the farro with quinoa or your favorite rice. (Adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny.)
You can find my social media links at the bottom of the recipe – or stop by Rooster and Hen Store to say hello some time!
|Cook Time||1 hour|
|Passive Time||5 minutes|
- 1 sweet potato peeled & cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 small yellow squash optional, chopped
- 1 small zucchini optional, chopped
- 1 ear corn, with corn removed from the cob
- 1 cup farro uncooked, or use quinoa or rice.
- 2 cups vegetable broth,
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 + 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- green onions chopped for topping
- Heat oven to 375 F. Combine all ingredients, except for the green onions, in a large mixing bowl. Pour into a lightly oiled casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and remove the foil. Bake another 15 minutes, until the vegetable broth is mostly absorbed and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes so the remaining broth can be fully absorbed. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
Follow guest blogger Allison Smith on Twitter and Instagram: @roosterandhenstore @luckypantry and @picnicpops
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut. We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.