All of the ingredients in this oven breakfast hash can be adapted to fit your taste. Other vegetables may be added, as long as they all fit into the skillet! Onion and garlic powder are added in addition to fresh onion and garlic, because the oven baking doesn’t bring out those flavors. If you want to skip the powdered versions, just saute the fresh onion and garlic in the skillet before adding the other ingredients. I use smoked paprika in this recipe and it tastes great!
Oven breakfast hash makes a great meal before or after time at the beach! The flavors remind me of a campfire meal. The breakfast hash can be baking in the oven while everyone gets ready to go to the beach, or while they are cleaning up after. You can even precook the potatoes and have them ready to add to the rest of the skillet for the last 15 minutes of baking. I cut my veggie pieces in chunks (1 to 1 1/2″), but you can also cut everything into smaller (1/2″ or so) cubes to make it more like a hash.
If you’re looking for potato recipes, you might also enjoy these Vegan Scalloped Potatoes or Garlic Roasted Asparagus & Potatoes. This breakfast hash recipe is based on one from Karissa’s Vegan Kitchen.
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: For a gluten free version of this recipe, be sure all of these are gluten free: dried herbs, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 4 cups potatoes peeled & cubed. I used new potatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans drained & rinsed
- 1 small zucchini halved & sliced
- 1 small yellow squash halved & sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms washed & sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or use gluten free garlic powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder or use gluten free onion powder
- 1/4 large red onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or use gluten free smoked paprika
- sprinkling dried red pepper flakes or use gluten free red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the cut up potatoes evenly on the baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a separate casserole dish or oven-safe skillet, mix all the remaining ingredients.
- Remove the baked potato pieces, toss on the baking sheet, and return to the oven. Also put the skillet of vegetables into the oven. Bake both for 15 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Stir the potatoes in with the cooked veggies in the skillet. Serve warm. Can serve topped with salsa and jalapenos on the side, or topped with vegan cheese.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.