Everyone needs a basic and easy vegan cornbread recipe. This recipe is a good one to keep on hand. You can vary the recipe: for a good Mexican cornbread, add about 1/4 cup corn and 3 tablespoons of chopped jalapenos. Pickled jalapenos would work best for this, or chop 1 fresh jalapeno and microwave it until it’s soft, then add to the cornbread.
This week, I’m making the basic recipe, so I can dry it out and make a sage dressing (or stuffing) for Thanksgiving. I’ll be veganizing a traditional dressing, which requires dried cornbread and white bread as a base.
For this cornbread, mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and pour it right into the baking dish. This will be perfect with chili, any homemade soup, or a big bowl of beans. The recipe can be doubled.
If you are looking for bread recipes, you might like these Roasted Garlic Herb Rolls or this basic No Knead Bread. This recipe is from The Pretty Bee.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 1 cup all purpose flour or your favorite gluten free flour, if preferred
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce reduce to 5 T. if using gluten free flour
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter I use Earth Balance
- 1 1/8 cup plant-based milk I use unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease one 8- to 9-inch pie plate or square casserole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder until well blended.
- Add the applesauce, vegan butter, and plant-based milk, stirring to mix well.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cornbread should be lightly browning around the top edges. Serve warm.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.