I was raised on this delicious no meat weekend stew. It’s a perfect hearty vegan main course! I like to throw soups together with whatever is in the kitchen, veggie-wise, but this batch ended up being so tasty that I’m happy to share it. I hope you and your family enjoy it many times.
If you are looking for more hearty soup and stew recipes, check out this Navy Bean Slow Cooker Soup or many of our other very delicious soups!
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: To make a gluten free version of this recipe, be sure your thyme is gluten free.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||1-2 hours|
- 4 green onions or shallots, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots sliced, each slice quartered
- 1 32-ounce carton vegetable broth, low sodium if possible
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- black pepper to taste, gluten free if needed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme or gluten free dried thyme
- 1 15-ounce can green beans, drained
- 1 10-ounce package frozen corn, rinsed & drained
- 1 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 3 or 4 new potatoes unpeeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or gluten free dried thyme
For the stew base:
To finish the stew:
- Chop the four green onions or shallots and slice the two large carrots; quarter the carrot slices, too. Pour the low-sodium veggie broth into a dutch oven, add the shallots and carrots, two cloves of minced garlic, cracked pepper to taste, and two tablespoons of dried thyme.
- Cook on high heat until boiling, then cover and reduce to low heat to simmer. Let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- To the simmering pot, add the green beans, corn, and stewed tomatoes. Add the cut potatoes to the stew. Add the additional teaspoon of dried thyme and a pinch or two of salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes are soft and the flavors have blended to your liking.
- Once the stew has cooked to your satisfaction, add in the pearl barley and let cook according to the barley package, usually 30 to 40 minutes, or until the barley is plump and softened.
- Let the stew cool for a few minutes, add salt and pepper to taste, then serve with your favorite bread or crackers.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.