At my house, we are crazy about charred corn salad. I came across this recipe on Leite’s Culinaria. I adapted it a bit and now we’ve added this super tasty salad to our regular meal rotation.
The original recipe is “nearly vegan,” but I substituted unsweetened plain cashew milk yogurt for the Greek yogurt. To lower the heat in the dressing a little bit, I reduced the harissa to 2 teaspoons. The original recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of harissa. I also omitted black pepper. We love the tanginess of this dressing using using two full tablespoons of lime juice. And I reduced the amount of red onion in the recipe by half.
Try making this recipe on a day when you have your outdoor grill heated up. The grilling works on a stovetop or indoor grill or panini maker, but I think the corn charring will occur quicker on a preheated outdoor grill. I use my panini maker and the charring is only a little bit of browning of the corn. If you don’t mind about the corn grilling, any method works.
If you haven’t tried hearts of palm before, don’t worry. They have a very neutral flavor, almost like a softer water chestnut.
I absolutely love cilantro and serve this salad with a saucer of lime slices and chopped cilantro, so people can add more of each, if desired. If you dislike cilantro, chop up some parsley to use. The flavor will be altered slightly, but the salad will still be delicious and satisfying.
I found this salad makes 4 to 6 side salad servings or 2 to 3 servings as a main dish.
In addition to being full of flavor, this charred corn salad is vibrant and colorful. Make this delicious, cheery salad for guests or for a potluck or get together. It’s also a nice salad to have for special occasions or with your holiday meals.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
- 3 tablespoons cashew unsweetened plain yogurt or any plantbased plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 1/2 large lime, or reduce, to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm drained, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or Campari tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion sliced into thin half circles
- 1/2 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
For the dressing:
For the salad:
- Mix the plantbased yogurt, harissa, and fresh lime juice in a small bowl. Mix well. Season with sea salt, to taste. Set aside or chill in the refrigerator while you make the salad.
- Cook the ears of corn in boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the corn from the water and let dry.
- Using kitchen tongs, place the ears of corn onto a hot grill or panini maker. Let the corn cook until it is charred in places, rotating occasionally. This will take about 10 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is. Remove the corn from the grill and let cool slightly.
- Using a sharp knife, hold the corn vertically and cut the corn kernels off, keeping the rows of corn together as much as possible when cutting.
- On a serving platter, place the corn pieces, the hearts of palm, tomato halves and red onion slices. Lightly toss with your hands to combine. Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad and scatter cilantro over it. Serve immediately with extra lime wedges and cilantro, if desired.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing the hashtag #keylimecoconutblog when you try our recipes.