The tomatoes, cumin, and cilantro all add so much flavor to these vegan Quick Cuban Cilantro Black Beans, a simple black bean recipe. I used V8 Juice in this recipe, rather than tomato juice. I’m not sure if it made much of a difference flavor-wise, but it worked! These beans can be eaten alone or as a side dish. Serve with South Florida Beach Bread or alongside vegan Charleston Red Rice. Or if you’d like to try a different bean dish with Latin flair, it doesn’t get any better than this Sweet Potato Black Bean Farro Bake.
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: To make the gluten free version of this recipe, be sure to use gluten free cumin.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin or gluten free cumin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cans black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 1/3 cup tomato juice or V8 juice
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro sliced
- onion finely chopped for topping, optional
- In a skillet, cook the garlic and cumin in olive oil over medium heat until fragrant. Add beans and tomato juice or V8 juice to the skillet. Add salt to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring continuously until the liquid has reduced. Just before serving, stir in fresh cilantro. Can be served with a cilantro garnish and finely chopped onions.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter @keylime_coconut. We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.