Soup season is upon us, and this German sweet potato cabbage soup will hit the spot. I have been in such a mood for Oktoberfest this year. It’s all about the food, right? I’ve got seven or eight German cuisine recipes to try this month. I’m plenty excited about it!
Adapted from Jamie Oliver, this recipe couldn’t be easier. Just chop the vegetables and saute them a little bit, then put all the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and turn it on. I really love cabbage soups. Back in the days of unhealthiness, I’d make cabbage soup with a creamy base and melted cheese. Cheese in soup is not necessary! This one has a nice vegetable broth base, hearty sweet potatoes or regular potatoes (or both), and nice herbs for flavor.
Here are some clear instructions from Simply Recipes on cleaning and cutting leeks. Or just follow these shortened instructions:
- Cut off about 2/3 of the dark green leaf (and keep for making soup or veggie broth later).
- Cut the remaining leek in half lengthwise.
- Slice each half into 1/4-inch (or smaller width) slices.
- Rinse the leek pieces in a colander, then place them in a small bowl.
- Fill the bowl with water and swirl the leek pieces to wash them.
- Drain the water off.
- If you are going to saute the leeks, you’ll need to pat them with a paper towel or kitchen towel until they are somewhat dry before placing them into hot oil.
We usually eat this soup with toasted rye bread – very satisfying! Don’t you love warm fall foods? You might also enjoy pretzels with your soup – choose your own toppings for these homemade pretzels. If you are interested in trying some German desserts, this German Apple Cake is easy and very pretty, or make a tray of these Molasses Ginger Crinkle Cookies.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 large leek washed and chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes or baking potatoes, or both kinds of potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 head cabbage sliced and separated
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- In a large skillet, add the tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped onion, carrots and leek. Cook on low heat about 10 minutes to slightly soften the vegetables, stirring regularly.
- Place the vegetables into your slow cooker. Add in the potatoes and cabbage, sprinkle with celery seeds and marjoram. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pour in the vegetable stock. Cover and cook 6 to 8 hours on low setting or 4 to 5 hours on high. Serve hot.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut. We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.