This year, summer holidays need to be as fun and special as we can make them, even if we are just sitting home alone. I wanted to make a treat at my house and I was set on making red, white and blue foods for Memorial Day this year. Strawberries are everywhere right now, so I was more than happy to make this strawberry vegan ice cream. I also made a super tasty red and blue mixed berry crumble. Both recipes are so good and are great served together.
I love developing “nice cream” recipes. You only need an ice cream base of coconut milk or coconut cream, a sweetener like maple syrup, vanilla or other extracts, and then your additions, such as fruit, chocolate chips or nuts. I like to use a combination of both coconut milk and coconut cream, but you can use whatever you have on hand as long as you add 3-1/2 to 4 cups total. Vegan ice cream is great made with all coconut milk or all coconut cream, too. I always add 1 to 2 cups of plant based milk into mine, too, in addition to the 3-1/2 to 4 cups of coconut products. This doesn’t make it any less creamy, but it does give you more ice cream, with a small reduction in fat per serving.
When using coconut milk to make vegan ice cream, you might find little pieces of the fat will freeze solid. To avoid having those resolidified tiny fat chunks in your frozen dessert, heat the coconut milk slightly before using. Pour the canned coconut milk (or cream) into a medium mixing bowl or a medium saucepan on the stove. Microwave in 10 to 15 second intervals a couple of times, stirring each time to remove any undissolved fat. If you are heating the coconut milk on the stove top, heat over a low heat, stirring occasionally, to melt any fat. The mixture should never get hot, just slightly warm. Let cool slightly before making your ice cream. This extra step is so worth it!
When you make the nice cream it will still be soft, like classic homemade ice cream. To harden the ice cream for scooping, put it in the freezer in a covered container for 20 to 30 minutes, or until it’s hard enough to scoop. I find my ice cream has a small window of “scoopability” and becomes too hard to scoop once that window closes. The solution is to create scoops when the ice cream is just right, then put the ice cream scoops into the freezer until time to serve. I’ve included instructions for that in the recipe.
This nice cream is perfect for birthdays or other celebrations. It’s delicious with fruit pies or cakes and cupcakes.
Plan ahead for those summer holidays and have a look at my other vegan ice creams and dessert recipes.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Passive Time||60 minutes|
- 1 can coconut milk shaken well before opening
- 1 can coconut cream shaken well before opening
- 1 cup plantbased milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups strawberries mashed, fresh or frozen
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw them, then mash them into a chunky pulp. To use fresh strawberries, clean, slice and mash them. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour the coconut milk and coconut dream. Stir to blend. Microwave in 10 to 15 second intervals, stirring between, until the fat is broken down. Let cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl: plantbased milk, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and mashed strawberries.
- Mix all ingredients. Taste to see if you need to add more maple syrup for sweetness.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze for about 30 minutes, until the ice cream has thickened to soft serve.
- The ice cream can be eaten at this stage, or you can pour it into a glass loaf pan and place it into the freezer to harden. Check the ice cream and stir it about every 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the ice cream is almost hard, use an ice cream scoop to place scoops onto a baking sheet, plate or platter, and place them, uncovered, into the freezer.
- Once the scoops have solidly frozen, place them into a covered container and keep in the freezer until ready to serve. Before serving the ice cream, place scoops into cups or bowls and let them set for a few minutes at room temperature to soften.
- Delicious served with pies and fruit crisps, or topped with nuts, granola, or flavored sweet sauces.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut and #keylimecoconutblog when you try our recipes.