With this slow cooker wild rice butternut squash soup, I am trying to ease into fall. Here in Florida, we are still having warm temps, as is most of the country. With this soup, I hope to get myself in the fall mood, ready for the pending holidays and family celebration recipes.
I like this soup – it’s so easy to make! All you need is time to wait for it! I prepped my onion, squash and celery first. After that, you just load up the slow cooker and turn it on. Peeling and cutting the butternut squash was a little harder than I had anticipated. To me it was like peeling and cutting a tree branch with a knife (slight exaggeration, but not much). So, allow plenty of time for that, so you won’t be in a hurry while cutting.
I always remove the threads from celery – I just don’t like chewing them, even in small pieces. To remove them just place your knife under the edge of a few threads at the end of the celery stalk and use the knife to lift out the threads, pulling them toward you. After the threads are removed, you can easily slice (and chew!) the celery.
The soup took 4 1/2 – 5 hours to cook in my slow cooker. It’s a hearty soup with nice flavors. Since there are just the two of us living in my house, we had leftovers. I found the broth had all been soaked up by the rice, so when reheating it, you can expect it to be thick like a rice dish or you can add a little more vegetable broth to each bowl after reheating. I would heat the leftovers and the broth separately, then pour the broth into the bowl when serving.
The warm soup, wild rice, and butternut squash will definitely get you in the mood for fall!
Adapted from Kristine’s Kitchen Blog.
You might enjoy trying these recipes, too: Summer Garden Tomato Soup, Sweet Potato Black Bean Farro Bake, or Navy Bean Slow Cooker Soup. This wild rice squash soup would be delicious served alongside Mushroom Pot Pies.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||4 - 6 hours|
- 1 medium onion chopped, or 1/2 large onion
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 ribs celery chopped (I remove the threads before cutting)
- 1 cup wild rice uncooked, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannelloni beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth,
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 - 4 cups kale chopped
- Add all of the ingredients, except the kale, bay leaf and broth, to the slow cooker. Add in the broth slowly, stirring carefully to combine all ingredients as you pour. Add the bay leaf.
- Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 6 to 7 hours. Cooking time will vary depending on your slow cooker temperature. The soup is ready to eat when the rice is soft and moist. Remove the bay leaf from the slow cooker.
- In each individual bowl, place 1/2 cup of torn or chopped kale in the bottom of the bowl. Ladle the soup over the kale to fill the bowl. Stir to combine the kale into the soup. Salt to taste. Serve hot.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut. We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.