I made this Orange Avocado Almond Spring Salad for Mother’s Day, when I was looking for a light, brunchy salad. The Orange Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing is a perfect companion to the salad – tangy and sweet. Roasting the almonds is easy and takes only 10 minutes. I used whole almonds, but slivered or sliced almonds can also be used.
Adapted from a recipe on Tastes Lovely. For more information on roasting and toasting nuts, have a look here.
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: Use gluten free Dijon mustard and black pepper in the dressing recipe.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
- 1 head romaine lettuce torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 oranges cut into segments, membranes removed from segments
- 1/4 large leek just the bulb part, or 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 avocado peeled & sliced
- 1/4 cup whole raw almonds roasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard or gluten free Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper or gluten free black pepper
For the salad:
For the dressing:
- Place the almonds in an ungreased baking dish or pie plate. Bake 10 minutes at 350 F, tossing after 5 minutes to rotate sides. Once you take the almonds out of the oven, remove them from their baking pan at once to stop the roasting process.
- While your almonds roast, wash and cut or tear 1 head of romaine lettuce into two bowls. Cut the ends and sides of the peeling of both oranges off, being sure to also cut off the outer membrane. Using a knife, cut between the wedge membranes on each side of every orange segment to remove clean orange wedges. Do this until all orange segments are removed.
- Cut the leek bulb or green onions into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices.
- Halve the avocado and cut each half into 1-inch chunks.
- To assemble the salad, toss the lettuce (in the individual bowls) with the onion. Pile the avocado chunks in the center of the salad and top with roasted almonds. Place the orange wedges around the outside of the bowl, pointing toward the center. Drizzle with the dressing and serve.
- Place all of the ingredients into a jar and shake until well blended.
- Use immediately or keep in the refrigerator up to one week.
Use this pretty salad in the spring and summer, or for any event. Quickly assembled, it's sweet and crunchy, plus the avocados add richness.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.