Never hesitate to make vegan meatloaf again, because I have the perfect leftover solution: leftover vegan meatloaf sandwiches!
In my house, there are only the two of us (hubs and I). If I cook a lot of food, we feel obligated to eat it for every dinner until it’s gone. But my Tasty Lentil Mushroom Meatloaf makes a large loaf. So after a few meals, we needed to change it up a bit. And our leftover vegan meatloaf sandwich was born! The sandwich is so yummy, we always end up having that for the next few nights.
Obviously, most of the work is done for you once the meatloaf is made. But, you still need to toast a nice sandwich roll, sauté some bell peppers and onions, slice some basil leaves for a topping, heat the marinara sauce and assemble the sandwich.
I use vegan parmesan on this sandwich, too, and I have my own homemade vegan parm recipes here on the blog. You can also try out my marinara sauce recipe – it’s simple, but has a rich flavor.
You can also make these sandwiches with any vegan meatball, with so many premade vegan foods available now in grocery store freezer sections.
To toast the sandwich buns, open them up, keeping the top and bottom connected, onto a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the oven set on Low Broil until the buns are lightly browned. Do not leave them unattended as they tend to brown all at once. Remove and set aside.
To cut basil chiffonade style, place a bunch of basil leaves together and roll them up. Cut the basil roll in slices. Use your fingers to toss and separate the strips of basil leaves.
This recipe makes four sandwiches, but these amounts can be halved to make just two at a time. You can also sauté extra veggies ahead of time and pop them into the fridge to make leftover vegan meatball sandwiches the next day, too!
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 4 subway sandwich buns toasted
- olive oil
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced into rings or half rings
- 1/2 cup black olives optional, crushed by hand into halves
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup marinara depending on your sandwich bun size
- fresh basil optional, cut chiffonade, for topping the sandwich
- vegan parmesan for topping
- Reheat slices of your leftover vegan meatloaf in the microwave or oven. If using vegan meatballs, cook according to the package directions.
- In the meantime, toast the sandwich buns in the oven on low broil. Do not leave the buns unattended. Remove and set aside.
- To a skillet, add the sliced bell peppers and onions. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sauté about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the onions beginning to caramelize. Add the half black olives and stir in. Cook for 1 more minute, then remove the pan from the heat.
- On each bun, place a warm piece of leftover meatloaf, or vegan meatballs.
- Divide the bell pepper/onion/olive mixture evenly among the sandwiches.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of marinara sauce over the meatloaf and vegetables.
- Top with the chiffonade cut basil and vegan parmesan. Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut.
We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut and #keylimecoconutblog when you try our recipes