Combined with marinated artichoke hearts, sliced almonds and vegan parmesan, this Brussels sprouts slaw will be perfect with a nice Italian or Mediterranean meal. This is a nice, pretty salad you can quickly toss together this summer’s parties and picnics. It’s quick and easy to make, and very tasty!
You can find simple recipes for three different vegan parmesans here.
When slicing the Brussels sprouts for this slaw, start cutting crosswise at the top of the sprout, then work toward the stem end. As you get closer to the stem end, you’ll run into the tough core. Just slice off the leaves around the outsides and toss the cores. After you slice the sprouts, you’ll see that pieces of sliced leaves fall off each sprout. You can either shred the sprout medallions completely or leave them together. I like to leave my sprout medallions together, and whatever falls off of them as the slaw is tossed is fine. The sprout medallions mixed with the leaf shreds add more texture and interest to the salad.
For the artichoke hearts, cut them into about 1/2-inch chunks and remove any outer leaves that feel tough and unchewable.
Thinly sliced almonds are the best for this slaw, because they add a nice crunch. You can use any kind of nut, though, or even slivered almonds.
To make this slaw ahead, you can completely assemble it the night before, including tossing it in the dressing. I’ve made mine a few days before eating it. It held up great! Because Brussels sprouts are denser than lettuce and other greens, they don’t get soggy after being refrigerated or sitting in dressing. This dressing gets better after a day or two, when the flavors are blended to perfection. So make it ahead for your next hot summer get together and serve a super chill(ed) salad!
If you’re looking for more salads to kick off your spring and summer, you might enjoy having a look at my Salads recipes.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts cleaned & thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan plus additional for topping (see parm recipe above in text)
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds plus additional for topping
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil from the container of artichokes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
For the slaw:
For the dressing:
- Thinly slice all Brussels sprouts crosswise and toss into a serving bowl. Add the cut artichoke hearts, the sliced almonds and the vegan parmesan. Lightly toss to blend.
- In a measuring glass or small bowl, whisk together the olive oil from the jar or can of artichoke hearts, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Add salt and pepper to taste, whisking again.
- Drizzle the dressing over the entire slaw and toss to coat well. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to three days. Before serving, top the slaw with additional vegan parmesan and sliced almonds, or serve the slaw with vegan parmesan and sliced almonds on the side.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Leave any feedback in comments below. Also, share your comments on Instagram: @key_lime_coconut or on Twitter: @keylime_coconut. We love seeing hashtags #keylimecoconut #keylimecoconutblog and #beachbumvegan when you try our recipes.